Friday, March 9, 2012

Chew Your Food!


So I had an appointment just the other day and the #1 thing that I need to be doing with my health is...Chew my food. You're thinking, "You've got to be kidding me! You don't chew your food?". I am saying openly...and with a little shame..."No. No I don't." It's not that I don't chew at all. It's that I don't chew it enough. My immediate family knows that I don't do this. It's a habit. Now I've got to break it. I had no clue that it was that important!
You want everything you are eating to combine with your saliva and liquefy before swallowing.  You should chew your food about 30 times to create the saliva needed, but the average person only chews eight times. I chew three to four times. That's ridiculous. Today I have been painfully aware of how much I have not been chewing my food. It took me 30 minutes to eat a bowl of steamed broccoli that was lightly seasoned with sea salt and freshly ground pepper (I'm trying to make the most out of a sad situation). Broccoli takes a LOOOOOONNNGGG time to chew; however, the snack-sized Snickers bar I ate took only about 10 chews per bite to liquify in my mouth...never mind the fact that I also need to phase out dairy out of my diet too. I know! Kill me now! Baby steps, right?

Now...back to what I really want to share with you. I want to make sure you are aware of this hip show called, The Chew.



It's on ABC Monday-Friday at Noon MST. It's a talk show all about food! They keep a good balance! It's hosted by Clinton Kelly, and co-hosted with Mario Batali (You know...the read headed chubby guy that always wear orange Crocs? Oh! And an amazing chef!), Michael Symon (Iron Chef), Carla Hall (Top Chef), and Daphne Oz (Dr. Oz's daughter).



It's like a Food Network Talk Show. Being a new housewife and not having Cable or Satellite makes this a very special treat for me! They made me think about cheese in a whole new way (Not that it matters any more...since I shouldn't be eating dairy)! They had a Grilled Cheese bar set up for parties that included brie and the world's most expensive cheese with actual gold flakes in it! I still haven't tried brie, and I don't want to die without doing that first. You learn quick tips from a variety of sources who sometimes agree and disagree with each other on what the best way is to prepare something in particular. I think that's always important when developing your own personal style as a cook.

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. That's pretty interesting... I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before but had forgotten to put it into action! May God give you patience to create this good habit! :)

    ReplyDelete