Thursday, March 22, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip and Nutella "Ice Cream"

Banana Chocolate Chip Nutella "Ice Cream"
Did you try Susan's Mango Sorbet? It looks delicious! I'm not a big mango fan, so I'm going to try it with pineapple soon. It got me inspired to come up with more healthy dessert recipes that can be made quickly and cheaply.

I remember a recipe I saw Williams Sonoma post on facebook awhile back. I remember it clearly because it pissed me off when I read it. Some lady froze some bananas and blended them in a blender then called it one ingredient ice cream. Here's what irritated me: 1) If there is no cream in it, it's not ice cream, 2) That is not a recipe, and 3) This would have been a fine post for Kraft foods or something, but not for Williams Freaking Sonoma. I expect better from them.



Anyway...despite my initial irritation, frozen bananas are pretty good, so why not call it ice cream and trick yourself into thinking your indulging. But a Chubby Chick can't just freeze some bananas and call it good. No, I had to "chubby it up" (maybe that could that be my "bam") with some chocolate chips and Nutella. Still pretty healthy and very easy.

I apologize for the bad pictures.  I made this at night with poor lighting and I wanted a quick tv watching snack.  Steve had Happy Endings cued up on the DVR and I was ready for some SOMA time (that's a word we made up that means: "sittin'-on-my-butt").


This is so simple, I'm not even giving you a recipe, just telling you what I did.  It's very forgiving, so you can just throw crap in and it will still turn out great.  Scratch that, don't put crap in your food.  That would not taste good.  So, I peeled about 8 bananas then broke them up with my fingers and put them in the freezer for a few hours.


I put the frozen banana chunks in my food processor and pulsed them about 20 times for about 2 seconds each time.  Gave it a quick scrape down with the spatula then set it to blend for a couple minutes. 


Afterward it looked like this, I added a couple heaping tablespoons of Nutella.  It didn't have a strong Nutella taste, so feel free to add more if you want more flavor.  I also added a couple splashes of milk because my bananas were a little too frozen.  If you have adopted a dairy-free lifestyle, you could just not freeze the bananas as long or add a little water.


Next, I grated a 3.5 ounce chocolate bar.  Nothing special, I just used a cheap IKEA one.


Dump in the chocolate shavings and don't be afraid to lick off the chocolate that melted on your fingers.  Blend for a few more seconds until it looks like this.  Mine was soft, but if you want it firmer, just stick it in the freezer for about an hour.  The end result isn't super-pretty, but it is super-tasty!



1 comment:

  1. I added no milk, but added walnuts...and thought honey was a good idea....I was very wrong. My walnuts tasted like dirt....and the honey hardened almost immediately.....bummer...

    ReplyDelete