|Debb's Italian Cream Cake Cupcake|
Well, I decided to dust it off today to make for our Italian themed potluck at church tomorrow. Layer cakes are so hard to cut and serve well at potlucks, so I decided to make a cupcake form. Ok, I just like to turn things into cupcakes....isn't that why read this blog?
I did make a couple tweaks to the original recipe. First, I substituted almond extract for amaretto (we live in a dry county and I didn't want to make a road trip to buy it, but the amaretto is really worth and adds just a little more flavor punch). I also left pecans out of the frosting and sprinkled them on top so that I could pipe the frosting.
They turned out amazing and while I wouldn't call this a quick, easy recipe, it was totally worth the effort and I hope the 36 people who get one tomorrow enjoy them.
Italian Cream Cupcakes
Yield: 36 cupcakes
2 sticks butter, softened
400 grams sugar
5 egg yolks
300 grams flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 tablespoon vinegar with enough milk to equal 1 cup)
2/3 cup pecans, chopped plus more for garnish
3.5 oz shredded coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract (or 3 tablespoons amaretto)
5 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 and prep cupcake pan(s) with liners.
- Combine flour and soda, set aside
- Beat butter at medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar and beat another 30 seconds. Add egg yolks, one at a time beating after each addition.
- Set mixer on the lowest speed and add flour mixture alternating with buttermilk and ending with flour.
- On low speed add pecans, coconut and extracts.
- In a separate bowl, beat cold egg whites in a cold bowl until foamy. Add cream of tartar beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Top with frosting and sprinkle with pecans. Refrigerate if not serving immediately.
16 oz cream cheese, softened
2 sticks + 2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 1/2 pounds powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Beat cream cheese until smooth, add butter and beat until fluffy
- Add remaining ingredients and beat on high for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy